SC American Revolution Sestercentennial Commission sees this anniversary as an excellent opportunity to advance research in SC’s role in the American Revolution. SC250 is looking to support well-researched and written pamphlets and monographs, commercial and scholarly articles, and books associated with South Carolina’s 250th Anniversaries. In addition to scholarly treatises there is a need for well-written and accurate consumer editions on many topics. SC250 also hopes to support the collection, transcription, and annotation of American Revolution in SC era papers. Anticipated end result can be a digital asset as long as research standards are met.
If near the publication phase, please apply for a publication grant. This grant is intended to support the research and writing phase with clearly defined deliverables and timeline.
“We fight, get beat, rise, and fight again!”
Gen. Nathanael Greene
- Research should feature significant Revolutionary Era people, places, events, or ideas particularly in their connection to SC.
- These projects require the highest standards of scholarship, balance, and documentation.
- These works must be fully referenced and clearly delineate accepted facts from author’s interpretation and opinion. Even if not eventually published with complete scholarly referencing, the Commission’s files will retain the fully referenced papers.
- References shall be made in accord with Chicago Manual of Style conventions.
- All opinion pieces must be referred to as an opinion piece, clearly name the author, and include a statement that it does not necessarily reflect the views of the Commission.
- We want to avoid boasting – “senior superlatives” – best, biggest, fastest, most, etc.
- All of the Commission’s endorsed research and publications will be peer reviewed by subject matter experts.
- None of these projects are works of any pre-determined length.
- Where appropriate and possible, we must tell South Carolina’s stories from multiple points of view. Applicants are encouraged to also tell their Revolutionary Era stories from non-traditional points of view, such as Loyalist – Women – Children – enslaved and free African Americans – Native Americans.
- Projects can be part of a larger project. If so, please make sure to clearly describe the phase of project in context to the whole in the grant narrative.
- Project Sponsor must agree to SC250 royalty free access to the research upon completion.
- The Project Sponsor will supply its proposed Budget and Timeline to completion.
- The research must cite the SC American Revolution Sestercentennial Commission.
- Project Sponsor shall provide all project management.
Potential American Revolution in SC Projects could include, but are not limited to:
- Revolutionary Era Papers
- Biographies of South Carolina’s Revolutionary Era
- Unit Histories and Military Organization in South Carolina
- South Carolina’s Loyalists
- South Carolina’s Dis-enfranchised: Women, Children, Enslaved and Free African-Americans, and Native Americans
- South Carolina’s Governance and Economy
- Naval Affairs
- Logistics and Supplies
- Society and Culture
- Campaigns and Battles
- Source Materials
- Prisoners of War
- Other American Revolution in SC Projects
Who Is Eligible:
Individuals, Official County 250 Committees, Local Governments, Tribes, Museums, Historical Societies, Visitor Centers, Chambers of Commerce, Universities/Colleges, Non-Profit Organizations, SC Council of Governments, Regional Tourism Commissions, Other SC Organizations. Please note that County and Municipal Governments may designate third-party recipients (i.e. non-profit organizations) to receive grants provided that the local government applies on their behalf and the Chief Elected Official of the local government signs the application. All applicants must be located in SC or located in the continental US and researching a topic intrinsically related to the American Revolution in SC.
How To Apply:
Apply through the Discover SC Web Grant program making sure to include the following checklist:
- Register with the Discover SC Web Grant program - Please note this program manages all SCPRT and SC250 Grants. Pro Tip: When completing registration make sure to select SC250 - SC American Revolution Sestercentennial Commission under Program Area of Interest.
- Under Funding Opportunities make sure to select the correct grant - Agency: SC American Revolution Sestercentennial Commission Title: Research Grants
- General Information Form
- Cover Sheet Form
- Grant Narrative including Estimated Timeline & Anticipated Outcomes / Deliverables
- Assurances & Certifications
- Support Materials (*Required)
- Contact Spreadsheet Click Here for a Sample Spreadsheet
- Project Sponsor staff/members who would like to be added to SC250 enewsletter, etc.
- VIPs to keep in the loop (Local Media, Elected Officials, Volunteers, Donors, etc.)
- Fiscal Agent Documentation*
- Fiscal Agent’s W-9
- Fiscal Agent’s adopted budget for the current year
- Fiscal Agent’s most recent operating financial statement
- If the Fiscal Agent has just been established, some documentation to that fact
- If the applicant or fiscal agent is a Non-Profit, we also need the following documentation:*
- IRS 501c3 letter or 501c6 letter
- Secretary of State Registration letter
- List of Board members
- Mission of Non-profit
- Letter of Support from your local SC County 250 Committee*
- SC250 would like to ensure that your County 250 group is in the loop when you are applying. We get more done together! Click Here for a list of contacts for the local county committees. Don't see your county contact? Reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you are a County 250 Committee, just attach your official, signed county resolution.
- If you are not located in SC but are working on American Revolution in SC material, upload a document that states such.
- If institution or scholar has not yet been selected, please include:
- example of previous projects.
- open Request for Proposal (RFP) process.
- If individual or institution where the scholar is already selected, please include:
- resume of scholar.
- examples of previous work by scholar.
- Any other documents that support your request. For example: Quote from publishing house or printer / REQUEST FOR PROPOSAL (RFP) if not selected.
- Grant Application Budget
- Budget Best Practices:
- Not all budget categories may be compatible with your grant type. Feel free to skip a section. For example: we do not expect to see land acquisition in the County 250 Organizing Grants.
- If the grant request amount is part of a larger budget, please only include SC250 funding requests in each breakdown section.
- Make sure to not exceed the total amount available for this grant type in the breakdown SC250 request sections. This up to amount is listed below in the Amount section.
- The total budget could be larger if you have additional funding from other sources. If there are any additional funds in your total budget, document them in the Cost Share / Matching Funds section.
- Personnel refers to staffing, while contractual refer to any person you are hiring for a specific task.
- Administrative staffing should represent no more than 20% of the budget request.
- Feel free to contact SC250 with questions at email@example.com.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit early and/or contact SC250 to discuss.
up to $20,000 / Project Sponsor
23FY Anticipated Application Quarterly Deadlines:
Q1: 9/16/22 at 3:00 PM, Q2: 11/9/22 at 3:00 PM, Q3: 2/9/23 at 3:00 PM, Q4: 5/9/23 at 3:00 PM All quarterly deadlines are not postmarked dates as all applications must be submitted in the Discover SC Web Grants program. All times are Eastern.
23FY Anticipated Quarterly Grant Award Dates:
Q1: 10/4/22, Q2: 12/6/22, Q3: 2/28/23, Q4: 5/23/23
Match or Cost Share Required:
80% up front with 20% appropriated upon receipt of completed final report
How to Register for the Discover SC Web Grants Program
How to Submit Your Application in the Discover SC Web Grants Program
Sample Contact Excel Spreadsheet - Required Support Material for Most Grants
Word Document with Paper Version of Application for Reference and Preparation Only - Please note that all applicants must be completed in the Discover SC Web Grants Program.